X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Philadelphia Post

The Philadelphia Eagles
    current gm: aston (2036 - ???)
    previous gms: weboes (2011 - 2036), ajaxab (2004 - ??)

all-time: 268-242-2 (as of 2035 finish), .525
    playoffs: 7-10 (11 visits, 1 bowl win)
    2035: 5-11
    2034: 9-7
    2033: 11-5
    2032: 8-8
    2031: 2-14
    2030: 8-8

First, it's an honor to take over a team from an owner so longstanding and successful as weboes. The act formerly known as 'eaglesgm' around these parts took this team on an incredible run in the 2020s, particularly a string of dominating seasons from 2022 to 2029 (that sure sounds familiar) during which he averaged over 12 wins.

Along with their quarterback Broderick Hanks, however, Philly has fallen on hard times of late. They haven't made the playoffs since 2029, and while they've shown flashes, the modern era just hasn't lived up to the Hanks/McQuistan/Diaz days of yore.

Hanks has now ridden off into the Pennsylvania sunset after sixteen seasons of service. It's a new era.

2036 Outlook
    I've been left an extremely impressive young core of talent to build around (thank you, weboes!). A pair of first round CBs from 2035 to anchor the secondary, a pair of elite defensive linemen from the year before to supply to pass rush, and the best tackle I've ever seen. Add to all of this a new franchise quarterback to build around in E.J. Manuel. It's an enviable situation here, in all the important ways.

Not deemed a part of the core going forward - everybody else. WR Will Duncan and TE Greg Emerson are gone, finally, and Manuel will have a new generation of playmakers at his disposal. This group will be headed by seventh-year receiver Henry Hume, the final trade acquisition of the previous administration last offseason and kindly signed to a monstrous 5-year deal before training camp by Rex.

Rex is gone now. We don't like Rex.

Behind Hume will be a ragtag bunch and a ragtag line. 6th-year RB Doug Martin sticks, for now, if only to provide some stability in one phase of the offense while the exceptionally young and promising Manuel ripens in the other.

On defense, we inherit another player new to the team in '36 in LB Sean Spence, the new captain of the front seven. The conundrum is what to do with rookie 1.28 selection Wayne Nussmeier. With a move to the 43, Nuss has been kicked outside, where he looks like a natural fit. As a consequence of the same move, however, we aren't placing a premium on the position.

There's been no satisfactory market developing, though, so it looks like he'll have to earn his stripes as an Eagle. He's still a player we hope will show enough to eventually be traded to another team.

Overall
    I am very glad we still have someone like Hume on the team to catch passes, and between the Manuel/Hume connection, the running of Doug Martin, and what might be a passable line, I think this young offense can do enough work to complement what should be a pretty capable defense. Special Teams will be a sore spot in year 1; I don't think I even have gunners.

I don't want to make predictions, being new and unfamiliar to these digs, but partly for the same reason, there's a faint sense of optimism here.

Go Eagles!

OSFL commissioner and ex-Eagles of the FFL GM

2036: Review
    Since taking over the Eagles at the start of the preseason, the new administration has taken the knife to the roster in an attempt to rapidly mold the team into one fitting of our ownership. The stats:

Free-agent signings: 50 (2 since Week 2)
    Released: 43 (2 since Week 2)
    Traded out: 6
    Traded in: 2

Of the 57 players currently on the roster (4 on IR), all but 19 are new arrivals.

With this roster we've managed to just slip into the playoffs as a #6 seed. On the year, the Eagles are:

T-29 in giveaways, with 37
    T-1 in takeaways, with 35

#1 in rushing yards (168.3)
    #7 in total yards (351.7)
    #2 in points scored (24.9)
    #4 in pass rush (24.2 PR%)
    #6 in pass defense (62.8 PD%)
    #10 in pass rush allowd (19.9 PR%)
    #11 in total defense (317.8)
    #6 in points per game (17.3)

It's been an awesome amount of early success, and hopefully we can cap that off with a trip to the FFL bowl

Comment

2037 Draft

My first offseason at the helm of this team is complete! We were active again in free agency, signing about 20 guys but most notably CB Harvey Hopkins from San Francisco. We made a big trade in parting with shutdown corner Ian Cajigal, trading strength for strength and opting to parlay that into an offensive lineman.

And it was a big draft for us. We ultimately traded our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks next year as well and ended up with 15 draft picks. For a team that had as many holes on the roster as this one started with last year, it was a meat and potatoes draft. We targeted the gaps in the lines (7 in all, on both sides) and secondary (5) hard.

And so here they are.

1.06 OT Austin Anderson 50/74

1.20 DE Bruce Hackney 26/68

2.18 OG Cedric Gunn 15/46
      2.21 TE Donny Ciccant 24/48
      2.26 DT Byron Guthrie 23/29
      2.27 S Luther Budke 14/28

3.17 CB Buddy Bruno 16/23
      3.26 C Ed Webster 13/41

4.25 OG Hardy Coffey 13/42
      4.29 S Wendell Campbell 22/56

5.30 RB Herb Mathews 27/34
      5.32 S Curtis Giles 15/32

6.27 DE Chester Oliver 22/44
      6.30 RB B.J. Morris 25/34
      7.25 S Nicky Cook 11/18

I'm (tentatively) pretty pleased with what we've got here in this draft. A lot of young blood, should be better than what we had before. Most of a starting OL here, good news for returning RT Josh Meier, and of course for QB E.J. Manuel. What's everyone think? Feedback appreciated
      Last edited by aston2171; 10-19-2013, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Wprst draft I've seen on awhile

Comment

Originally posted by tarcone View Post
          Wprst draft I've seen on awhile
          I see 10 guys better than Turney LOL

Comment

Herb Mathews is the best WR in the 2037 draft.

Comment

Come on Tarky, i am awaiting some banter back

Comment

2037 Draft | Post-Camp

1.06 LT Austin Anderson 59/77
                A total stalwart left tackle. Everything I was hoping for.

1.20 DE Bruce Hackney 32/69
                Also looks like what we wanted. With Heyward, Reid, and Lane all returning, this is going to be a deadly front four if we can get Hackney up to speed.

2.18 G Cedric Gunn 20/46
                Day 1 starter at guard. Clear and huge upgrade over what we had last year!

2.21 TE Donny Ciccant 28/51
                He looks pretty good, but I'm not sure the need at this position was urgent enough for me to pay what I did. A bump in camp should be a good sign for him.

2.26 DE Byron Guthrie 27/37
                Not too sure what I was thinking here, as we clearly don't need another DE or DT. Now we have a real glut at the position.

2.27 S Luther Budke 19/33
                I moved last year's SS to FS for some reason...I must have forgot that I wanted Budke to start at free. We'll see if FA newcomer McNeil can hold down the fort at strong. If not, Browning/Budke should be the starting pair.

3.17 CB Buddy Bruno 20/31
                Ouch, I was hoping for a ballhawking corner here but that is the furthest thing from what he is. Looks like nickel or dime duty this year, though.

3.26 C Ed Webster 18/45
                I'm not sure he takes the starting job from Leland Bendjya, so that's disappointing. However, he should be a solid #2 and we'll see them rotate snaps. Maybe he develops more and overtakes Leland in the end.

4.25 G Hardy Coffey 16/43
                Just a really disappointing pick. Not sure he can make the team.

4.29 CB Wendell Campbell 23/59
                Now that I've moved him to corner, he suddenly looks more like a safety! Oh well - the need was at corner, and he looks so far like he's higher on the Nickel list than Buddy Bruno. This looks like a great pick for a late 4.

5.30 WR Herb Mathews 20/38
                Wowzas, Mathews was a late add to our priority list and we never envisioned him as a receiver. Mathews is going to be a day-one starter for us, and we have a really nice set of receivers now -- Lyle and Logan still around as the #3 and 4 options.

5.32 CB Curtis Giles 15/38
                Another guy it would have been nice to leave at safety, but need dictated the switch to corner. He'll be further down in the rotation but might back up in base packages because of his BnR skillset.

6.27 DE Chester Oliver 26/44
                Looks like really nice value here in the late 6th, but he's definitely got some competition at the DE spot.

6.30 RB B.J. Morris 26/30
                Already cut. All he can do is return punts. Not sure we have the luxury of holding spots for that.

7.25 S Nicky Cook 14/22
                Sorta a longshot, but he could claim the fourth and final safety spot on the roster. Doesn't look real special, but it was a late 7th anyway.

2037 Outlook

The 2036 Eagles had spare roster spaces everywhere, and loaded up with all the affinities we could muster. That kumbaya-singing locker room powered us to a 10-6 season, but it's a luxury we no longer have. All those roster spots previously used on buddy buddies, are now being allocated for hanging onto the talent we can find. In the short run, that's going to hurt us, but I can't really simply cut guys that are good to sign one-year affinity bums, can I? At least not too much.

The other thing that's really going to hurt us is E.J. Manuel apparently forgot one formation this summer. How does that happen, man? He didn't have any to spare, and we're down to 7 now. 3 of those are 1-WR, 2-TE sets and another is goalline. I don't know how we can even operate with this. If he starts throwing picks again, he might just hit the bench for someone who knows what the hell he's doing.

So, we're a team with no cohesion, limited affinities, and now a huge question mark at QB. As much as I like to trash talk, in all honesty, that 10-6 mark is not going to be easy to duplicate.

key losses:
                LB Tim Macias (DAL), E.J. Manuel's 8th formation.
                key additions: all dem rookies but especially the two 1st rounders, and the 5th round WR.

quote of the week
                Eagles HC: you gotta be kiddin' me, man! You know SB-normal, how f---ing hard is it to have your receivers lined up in trips? You did this **** last year.
                E.J. Manuel: idkcoachlol im gud
                Last edited by aston2171; 10-24-2013, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X