Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants - 2063 Season Preview!!!!

Overview

Giants may not have under achieved, but they did hit rock bottom. After Dennis Everet left via free-agency for San Francisco, the G-Men turned the reigns to Damien Jenkins. Jenkins was the backup for 6 years before becoming the starer. He tossed for 9 touchdowns with 14 interceptions. This was the primary reason behind the Giants putting up a 1-15 record in 2062.

Coaching
    The 1-15 record was enough to end the tenure of Kyle Meadows who achieved a 10 wins and 38 losses during that period. He was immediately replaced with disciplinarian Billy Joe Easter from Tampa where he was 6-10.

Easter brought in rookie Offensive Coordinator Abel Sherman and long time veteran Leon Woods as defensive coordinator. Woods was brought in from the Chargers and favors the 3-4 defensive front. The Giant traditionally have been a 4-3 team so this will take some adapting.

The Good

The Giants running game was middle of the pack. (Ranker 14 in rushing) Led be 2nd Round Pick Louie Kustok and veteran Heath Fleming. Both who accumulated over 600 yards each.

The Bad
    Giants passing offense was dead last. Averaging under 5 yards per game. A league low. To win the game, you must see the end zone. The efficiency in the red zone was not effective, and the passing game is the primary driver behind this.

On Defense, passing defense was middle of the pack.. But run defense, was ranked 31st.

Additions

On Offense Cole Wallentine G was brought in to strengthen the run game. Giants with two inside running backs, hope to pare Cole with C Keith Pintsak and G CJ Browning (Resigned) to re-establish the running game. Cole has been one the top young guards in opening KRO and the Giants think they have found a winner.

The Giants, hope that prized rookie WR Barry Malone from the 2062 draft but only contributed 10 catches over 16 games. He will be under the microscope.

On Defense, the goal was to to get younger, and the Giants were willing to retain Clifton Nixon who will battle it out with Erik Byars for the starting FS position. ILB Chase Kornbluth missed all of 2062 and is expected to start at one of the two inside LB positions. Rookie Curtis Clemons was drafted 1st overall and is expected to be penciled in as starting OLB in the new 3-4 set.

Rookie Class
    Kiss of death when you get a C+ from the media as part of the draft review. With the top pick you expect to have at least one player on the green page. Giants will be out to prove the critics wrong.

1-1 Curtis Clemons OLB
    School: Auburn
    Height: 5’10”
    Weight:234 lbs

Curtis showed promise as a blitzing linebacker and a strong nose for the football He showed ability to defend the run as well as cover in space. His nose for the football left Giants Scouts impressed enough to take him 1.1.

Projected - Von Miller

2-1 James Lauher QB
    School: American International
    Height: 6'5”
    Weight:228 lbs

Lauher was a bit of a surprise as he was selected from that QB powerhouse American International. Lauher showed a strong enough arm to make the passes over the middle with a high level of accuracy. At 6'5", he has the size to see over linemen and the size to stay in the pocket. Giants hope that he will be able to compete with Jenkins for the 1st team QB position.

3-1 Earl Davis CB
    School: Duke
    Height: 5'11”
    Weight:191 lbs

Davis selected in the 3rd round is a physical corner who was proficient agains the run as well as in Zone. With the Giants defense in need of better pass defense the rush from Clemons and the coverage of Davis this hopefully will be a welcome upgrade.

Projected: I HOPE this guy is Marshon Lattimore.

4-1 Andy Stargell G
    School: Sacramento State
    Height: 6'2”
    Weight: 306 lbs

After Bench Pressing 37 times at the combine, this guy fits the power lineman that the Giants like to load up the line with. A bit of a project, who should be a decent backup with a chance to grow into a starters role down the road.

Projection: too hard to tell

Nice analysis!!!

It will interesting to watch the on field performance of Clemons. He is very light for a 34 OLB.
    Franchise Bowl Champions 2030, 2038, 2041, 2043, 2045-2048, 2050, 2053, 2057-2059, 2061, 2063
    AC Champions 2031, 2032, 2040, 2044, 2049, 2051-2052, 2062
    AC East Champions 2030-2032, 2036, 2038, 2040-2044, 2046-2063
    Regular Season Record: 436-105-3
    Post Season Record: 68-18

Comment

Originally posted by Dawgfan19 View Post
      Nice analysis!!!

It will interesting to watch the on field performance of Clemons. He is very light for a 34 OLB.
      Hey Tom, in your opinion, how much does weight really matter for LB and Oline? I've read if a player is within 5 lbs of ideal weight, there is no material difference. But if a player is say 10-15 lbs light, can you put a % on how much it affects that player's performance?
      Paint by number morning sky looks so phony

Comment

Originally posted by maestro1899 View Post
        Hey Tom, in your opinion, how much does weight really matter for LB and Oline? I've read if a player is within 5 lbs of ideal weight, there is no material difference. But if a player is say 10-15 lbs light, can you put a % on how much it affects that player's performance?
        I'm not overly concerned about the o-line. But I think the front 7 may be a different story. If you sort by current ratings at a certain position (34 OLB for example), you would see players ranked far down the list who have higher ratings. They are pushed down that ranking because of their weight. I haven't tried to tease out of the game a specific weight cut-off (such as 5 lbs. from the ideal). My guess is that it is a sliding scale.
        Franchise Bowl Champions 2030, 2038, 2041, 2043, 2045-2048, 2050, 2053, 2057-2059, 2061, 2063
        AC Champions 2031, 2032, 2040, 2044, 2049, 2051-2052, 2062
        AC East Champions 2030-2032, 2036, 2038, 2040-2044, 2046-2063
        Regular Season Record: 436-105-3
        Post Season Record: 68-18

Comment

Originally posted by Dawgfan19 View Post
          I'm not overly concerned about the o-line. But I think the front 7 may be a different story. If you sort by current ratings at a certain position (34 OLB for example), you would see players ranked far down the list who have higher ratings. They are pushed down that ranking because of their weight. I haven't tried to tease out of the game a specific weight cut-off (such as 5 lbs. from the ideal). My guess is that it is a sliding scale.
          That makes sense. And I always assumed it would matter more for oline, since they're blocking. Thanks for the reply!
          Paint by number morning sky looks so phony

Comment

Working...
          X