Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Miami?

Why Miami?

Well, I’m an old timer (57) and Larry Csonka is still one of my top 5 favorite players of all time!

As a youngster I was a Rams fan. I loved Roman Gabriel and Jack Snow. I was a wee lad when every victory or defeat would bring pure joy or sorrow. The mighty purple people eaters ruined some great seasons. It was when few teams make the playoffs and I can still remember the loss in the mud in Minnesota. 11-1 and the season went downhill with loss and the later 23 – 20 loss to the Vikings in the playoffs and the goal line stand. https://youtu.be/ebF3Rxi3Z_w

During this time Miami had started their franchise. They were terrible. However, a funny thing happened as they were so bad I started cheering for them. I can remember going with my mother to the laundromat and there was an old black and white TV and a couple of times Miami was playing. They were always getting drilled, so I started rooting for them.

All of a sudden, presto they were good. Real good. Undefeated good. My father was from Washington DC and he loved the Redskins. I had a great relationship with my father, but it was a chilly room during the Super Bowl when I was cheering for the Dolphins – under my breath while he was cussing when the Dolphins beat the Redskins. My father was very creative with the cuss words, stringing 4 or 5 together in different combinations. He was no artist, but the cuss words were his forte of creativity.

Years later I was getting ready to move to San Diego to go to college. That also happened to be when the Chargers played Miami in the “hook and lateral” playoff game classic. https://youtu.be/LUHqAxXjSs8 Don Strock was filling in at quarterback (he had played at Virginia Tech where my father had played years earlier) which made it more epic for us. A week later I was in San Diego.

A few years and the Chargers started growing on me. It was the first time I had lived in a city with a professional sports team. All they would do is consistently break my heart. They grew to be my favorite team. Now, I don’t claim to have any special insight into player skills, but I thought Drew Brees was fantastic! Most probably don’t recall, but he injured his shoulder late in the season. It was not a terrible injury and he continued playing. Last game of the season and meaningless and behind and deep in their own territory with almost no time left in the game and the Chargers throwing. A sack and his injury was very serious.

During the off-season, I was going he will be great DO NOT get rid of him but they wanted another quarterback and thought he was undersized. A lot of people think Rivers is great but I am not a fan – he has never won anything and when presented a chance for a “Tom Brady” moment always failed.

In 1985, I was back in town from school during the holiday break when the undefeated Bears were playing the Dolphins. My father took me to his poker game to play for the first time ever since I was older now and rarely got in town to visit. I was still a broke college student, but all the men were raving about Da bears. I was saying Miami will beat them. Miami will remain the only undefeated team. Yeah, I was just talking but I believed it. Anyway, they started giving me odds 3-1, 4-1. I was taking all the bets, but with limited funds they were like $20 and $50 so it was probably around $300 total. Anyway, I left that night with a pocket full of money and some old men grumbling. You can’t pay for those kind of memories.

I moved away from San Diego but still cheered the Chargers. However, the final straw for me was the home playoff game against the patriots and later the Jets. 2004 lose to the Jets at home. 2006 an injury riddled and depleted patriots team came into San Diego with the Chargers have heavy favorites and the Chargers laid an egg. 2007 they lost again to New England but it was in Foxboro and the patriots were a better team. 2009 Jets come to San Diego again and Rivers choked away the game in the fourth quarter.

That was all I could take. I officially traded the Chargers as my favorite team and being back in Tennessee went all in on the Titans which is where I am today. Go Titans.

So, that is a brief history but some of my favorite pure memories of sports are as a youngster and cheering on the Dolphins so here I am in the league. I hope one day to be able to draft a young strong stud RB and I will change his name to Larry Csonka II.

Cheers
    Last edited by Vin13; 06-18-2019, 01:46 PM. Reason: DO should be DO NOT
    sigpic
    No Name Defense Undefeated

Great post! I'm a big Dolphins fan although I've never GM'd them in FOF MP, and it all stems from my younger self becoming addicted to Tecmo Bowl football and a love for the Dan Marino 'Phins of the 80-90's

Comment

Well, I’m an old timer (57) and Larry Csonka is still one of my top 5 favorite players of all time!

I love Csonka. He lives in Alaska. His best friends are in Jacksonville. He was the GM of the Jacksonville Bulls. Anyways I met him about 12 years ago in Jacksonville. Sat down talked to him. He was wearing his 72 Dolphins ring. Such a great man. So nice and humble. I told him he was a pioneer for big backs such as Cambell, Riggins, Bettis ect….

Comment

Well, if you are going to the Jacksonville/Titans game on Thursday night September 19 I will be there. Also going to the University of Tennessee vs Florida game in Gainesville that Saturday, September 21. A bunch of us Tennessee guys are going to make a long weekend out of it in Florida. Go Titans.

Yes, those are great backs – the Tyler Rose, crazy John Riggins, and Bettis (but he would probably be more remembered for his goal line fumble than anything if Big Ben did not make that miracle
        tackle https://youtu.be/FUcDGLHCOi4 ).
        Last edited by Vin13; 06-19-2019, 09:07 PM.
        sigpic
        No Name Defense Undefeated

Comment

Working...
        X