Does this league not trade anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this league not trade anymore?

I think i had Mikey offer for my players last year and I have had 2 offers for 1 of the 10 or so studs on my block this year. Why are people not trading here, come on let us know, thanks?

I with you 100%. I am feeling the same way. So I made a huge block. If I can't move a considerable guys. So yes I am with you on the trading stuff.
    Last edited by Slimmikey; 03-31-2019, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Not trying to argue or convince people to stay, but we've had 4 trades and we aren't in free agency yet. That seems like a decent start.

Comment

I have no cap room to make a decent trade myself and no 1st round pick.

Comment

Honestly...GMs way overvalue their players and want too much for them. I'm not giving up a ton for a player unless he's a franchise changer. I look at the trades in the real NFL and they are more reasonable than what some GMs want here (FOF) for players.

Plus...most GMs I encounter don't haggle or negotiate much. You make an offer. They don't like and say cya. No counter offer. No back and forth. I'm not wasting my time if that's the case.
          GM 2058-2065
          Record: 81-45
          Playoffs: 1-6
          Division Titles: 2058 (#1 seed), 59, 60, 62 (#2)

Comment

To offer a different perspective, GMs overvalue draft picks when trading for players, especially mid-round picks. I did a study in the USFL over a 4 year period using draft classes where the players had fully developed. I filtered out kickers, punters and FBs.

Looking at only the 3rd and 4th round selections, only 26% of those picks had a good rating (> 50). And to my surprise, a whopping 24% of the players were no longer in the league. Those numbers would only get worse in the lower rounds. But I still offers of a low 4th for a 52 rated WR with a 95 route bar. The odds of even an excellent drafter getting equal value is not good.

For those of you not in the USFL, listen to the radio show "Trading with Mike, the Art of the Deal". As mentioned in the link, fast forward to the 6:30 mark as we had some technical difficulties.

http://www.fof-usfl.com/USFL_Forum/s...ad.php?t=14506
            Franchise Bowl Champions 2030, 2038, 2041, 2043, 2045-2048, 2050, 2053, 2057-2059, 2061, 2063
            AC Champions 2031, 2032, 2040, 2044, 2049, 2051-2052, 2062
            AC East Champions 2030-2032, 2036, 2038, 2040-2044, 2046-2063
            Regular Season Record: 436-105-3
            Post Season Record: 68-18

Comment

Reasons to not trade are not exclusive to any one league. Here are mine but, I feel like I am a pretty regular trader which is to say I trade at a consistent two per season (maybe).

At the time of the original post (3/27) we hadn't seen the draft class.

Most players being put up for trade present massive cap challenges which is most likely why their owners are trying to trade them in the first place.

Many GM's overvalue their players.

Some GM's lose sight of the fact this is a game and act very 'cutthroat'.
              GM Cleveland Browns 2071 -
              -Franchise Bowl Champions 2076

-AC Champions 2076
              -AC North Champions 2076

GM Los Angeles Chargers 2055-2064
              -Franchise Bowl Champions 2056
              -AC Champions 2055 2056 2060
              -AC West Champions 2055-2060, 2063, 2064

Comment

Originally posted by johnrckr View Post
                reasons to not trade are not exclusive to any one league. Here are mine but, i feel like i am a pretty regular trader which is to say i trade at a consistent two per season (maybe).

At the time of the original post (3/27) we hadn't seen the draft class.

most players being put up for trade present massive cap challenges which is most likely why their owners are trying to trade them in the first place.

many gm's overvalue their players.

some gm's lose sight of the fact this is a game and act very 'cutthroat'.
                +1 x2
                Last edited by sawblade300; 03-29-2019, 01:18 PM.
                GM 2058-2065
                Record: 81-45
                Playoffs: 1-6
                Division Titles: 2058 (#1 seed), 59, 60, 62 (#2)

Comment

During FA 1 teams generally cap out some players and take a look at the draft class and available FAs before forming a plan of attack for the off season.
                  We just learned what players were franchised and who is a FA, and we just now could see the draft class after wednesdays sim.
                  I inquired about a WR on the Dolphins at the staff hiring stage, and was told that he wanted to see the draft class and wouldnt deal him before then unless he got a great offer.
                  So....I went and found a reasonable trade for a WR with the Jets.
                  In general, most Teams ask for too much for their players, offer too little for your players and then we have the auctions where its "make an offer"and see how high the bidding will go.
                  Add in the fact that the cap can get tight and veteran players carry bigger contracts and less of a shelf life and you are bound to see a decrease in trading
                  It will always be up and down depending on who is trying to win and who is looking to tank, i mean....rebuild LOL

Thats my 2 cents...sarcastic as always
                  now rub dirt in and take a lap

Comment

The cap makes things tougher. Vets are now less valuable because of their contracts (or future contracts) plus rating hits that are coming. I had to adjust when I came back to FOF. I'm practically giving away a decent starting DT but I know it is because of his age and contract. In USFL I saw some good players just outright released this off-season. I think this is good, it getting to be like real life.

There are some good players in this league looking long term trying to manage their cap.

I do agree with Dawg about people overvaluing picks. Even late 1st rounders seem like a bit of a crap shoot these days. Or maybe I just suck at drafting.

Comment

I never use to trade away picks but I'm doing it now in certain situations but almost never for a large cap vet. It's probably also a function of the active GM's are the ones that have the tightest cap situations so there's not much of a market for teams looking to unload vets.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnRckr View Post

Many GM's overvalue their players.

I don't. I think I am pretty spot on at the value of my players.

Comment

Originally posted by Slimmikey View Post
                          I don't. I think I am pretty spot on at the value of my players.
                          Mikey-I didn't call you or anyone else out personally. It was a general statement. I'll provide more clarification. The point is more of a complimentary point to what I said about cap impacts. For example, a GM (selling GM) is trying to trade a 80/80 rated player 8 year vet that is 31 years old in final year of contract that currently costs his team $29m. By trading, the 'selling GM' is able to push $27m of cap burden onto another team along with a huge renegotiation often for more years and more money that the 'buying GM' team should allocate to a single player especially if he doesn't play a key position(QB/RB/TE/WR/DE/CB). The 'selling GM' team thinks he is dealing a 80/80 stud and doesn't account for or minimizes in negotiations the value to his team the 'buying GM' is providing by taking that aging vet with a high salary on. In my opinion this is why people don't trade for in particular aging vets.
                          GM Cleveland Browns 2071 -
                          -Franchise Bowl Champions 2076

-AC Champions 2076
                          -AC North Champions 2076

GM Los Angeles Chargers 2055-2064
                          -Franchise Bowl Champions 2056
                          -AC Champions 2055 2056 2060
                          -AC West Champions 2055-2060, 2063, 2064

Comment

i can't believe i have a 34 LB with 80+ PRT and PRS on the block that no one wants, not one inquiry! I think that says it all

Comment

Originally posted by thefatcat View Post
                              i can't believe i have a 34 LB with 80+ PRT and PRS on the block that no one wants, not one inquiry! I think that says it all
                              No question he's a solid player but he's pretty undersized for the 3-4 WLB position. If you go to the recommend player option and sort by OLB based on PRT from current rosters you'll see he's dinged somewhat based on the players ahead of him.

Comment

Working...
                              X