Gameplanning in 7.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gameplanning in 7.0

It's always hard to get people to talk about gameplanning but here goes. I am wondering what you guys are thinking about it? It's obviously changed with the loss of the adjustments which some I expect will like and some I expect won't, i suppose Jim can't make everyone happy? In 6.0 etc gameplanning was my strength if I had one, now like me I expect you're all adjusting to the new things and the things that did not work and now do, some will be pulling there hair out (if you have any) and some will be loving it thinking hey I just got damn good at this game.

In one of my other leagues I have a 88 rated QB (well that's what my scout tell's me anyway!) I have a couple of 60ish WR's and 40/60 ish rookie and a 45/45 who does a good job, + and a TE of around 53/53 i think. Again that's if my dear little scouting team are telling me the truth! So in pre-season I have done something that I have never really done before and something that FOF never really liked. I went 25-55-20 , so 75% passing............and oh my it worked. Now it's a small sample size as our wonderful FOFC brain would say, but Zbuck i think did something like this the other day and beat the league single game passing record in 3 quarters ( Bravo Zbuck). So the question I am asking is firstly can we now go to extreme's of passing or indeed running the ball on offense (Dawg won the bowl win run and defense ) which I one think was great to see. Secondly if we can now go to extreme's how the hell do you counter this on defense, I for one would find it way to risky to go say 80% pass defense throughout my Gameplan to try and counter Zbuck's pass offense for fear he may be a clever little Zbuck and then chuck in a whole lot of run. So i was wondering what and if people have a view and are willing to share?

Originally posted by Bill Walsh View Post
    I went 25-55-20 , so 75% passing
    wow...thats Crazy...just crazy enough to maybe work LOL
    I have started to think that its the short pass...that may be the key to fof7, but i havent gone to that extreme...yet

I dont think defenses will change much, I remember seeing more than once a post saying that aggressive run or run with bump coverage was a good defense against the short pass...so its going to come down to players abilities at some point...perhaps more than gameplanning now.
    I always thought that was a 50/50 split but now im not so sure.

Comment

Apfl I did 75% run and ran like 44 times and still passed 33 times.

FFL
      AFC EAST Champions 2007,2009,2012,2015

Comment

My guess is that because adjustments have been taken out the game the AI in the shape of the coordinators now makes the adjustments for us. Those adjustments are probably good or bad decisions based on the play calling skill of the coordinators. So my guess again is that if you are down by 14 for instance the game will adjust even more to pass even though you have 75% run in the gameplan. In the APFL I was losing by 9 with 2 minutes of the 3rd left with roughly 60% run in across my GP, we dropped back on the last 29 plays, there was nothing I could do about it, apart from maybe not be losing by 9 LOL. Jim has hinted alot that he wants us to be a GM more than a Head Coach. It would be good to hear other peoples thoughts as well. Like i say this is not fact just my best guess based on what i am seeing.

Comment

I think once the gameplanning tool was released it changed the way people gameplanned. Cyril use to run a lot in 3 and long situations but it was hard to pick up prior to the gameplanning tool. I think for the past 10ish seasons i've run something like 30/40/30 across all situations. I'm now debating what to do given how bad our run offense has been. We certainly get favorable running situations but still don't have much success. I think my teams in the past have been able to remain consistent because of the amount of chemistry bonus we always had. I don't have the time to build the chemistry teams i've done in the past, plus it's significantly harder with the new financial model.

Comment

Just to add my 2 cents, I've adjusted my GPs very little in FOF 7, with the exception of a more balanced directional running approach.

But I continue to tinker with my offense throughout the season so that GMs cannot spot tendencies.
            Franchise Bowl Champions 2030, 2038, 2041, 2043, 2045-2048, 2050, 2053, 2057-2059, 2061, 2063
            AC Champions 2031, 2032, 2040, 2044, 2049, 2051-2052, 2062
            AC East Champions 2030-2032, 2036, 2038, 2040-2044, 2046-2063
            Regular Season Record: 436-105-3
            Post Season Record: 68-18

Comment

Does the game plan only work for the 1st half? Then the coaches make adjustments at the half and take over from there?
              I've notice some big changes between 1st and 2nd halfs. I've tried to pin point why the changes, like the score, down situations etc, but i can't see it.
              What do you guys think?

Comment

Originally posted by BeerCloud View Post
                Does the game plan only work for the 1st half? Then the coaches make adjustments at the half and take over from there?
                I've notice some big changes between 1st and 2nd halfs. I've tried to pin point why the changes, like the score, down situations etc, but i can't see it.
                What do you guys think?
                I think the same than you I do not why sometimes the coach decides to change everything when we are loosing, in our case throw a lot despite we have a solid ground game to come from behind rushing the rock... I don't know how to change it due we don't have now the opportunity to do it with the old game situatioms screen. .

Comment

I think...what you end up getting is %s for the entire game...so you may have more running earlier in a game and less late in the same game...or vice versa...maybe you throw more early and then run late... if you have a lead.

I have struggled with the running game in APFL until today...i started looking at the running game the same way I look at the passing game...and made some changes. when its 1st and goal...do you always run? when its 3rd and long...do you always pass?
                  Im not saying its as simple as that but...in general if the team is going to run 55 or 60% of the game...and you change where and when they run it may affect how effective the running game is in other places in your gameplan. Not sure if that makes sense...but thats what I think I am seeing.

Comment

Here`s my take on it...

I think that the old Offence/Defence Adjustment screen from FOF2007 is still alive but hidden (or one similar) and used for every team.

When it`s used, and how much it`s adhered to, is down to your Off/Def Coordinator`s play calling ability.

I have no hard facts or stats ,just a gut feeling, which maybe completely wrong.......

Thats why ,you fall behind, all you do is pass, and all the def does is Pass/Agg Pass, even if you think the the down and distance dictates a run play.

comments.......
                    sigpicGM of the "Cursed" Houston Texans.

Comment

I only now that my D# usually are very good in passing but sucks at stopping the run... And it frustrates me a lot recently

Comment

Working...
                      X