Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cap Penalty

Ive said for years that not everyone understands this clearly
    I am no expert, but im not usually in cap hell...or if I am it doesnt last long

One of the biggest things that I think people misunderstand is cap penalty
    that little box that says "Lost Cap" scares people to death...and dont get me wrong...it SHOULD
    but...once a player signs a contract with your team, that Bonus money is GONE
    you can never get it back or save it...its gone
    so if you pay a salary and a bonus for one season that is as much or more than the lost cap you would have if you traded...or even cut, that player...why are you keeping him?
    The Obvious first answer is that if you wait another season you can save more and have less lost cap in THAT season
    Some like to do it that way...others like to just get it over with

I am going to post pics of 3 examples

The 1st is an ideal situation
    you trade or cut that player and save money...LOTS of it

DE-Wagener.jpg

The 2nd is a BAD situation
    you trade or cut that player and you lose money...you spend almost double what it costs to keep him

CB-Bove.jpg

The 3rd is pretty close to a break even
    you trade or cut that player...and its about the same as it would be if you kept him--the following season
    the only downside is that he is gone and you need another player
    but if you trade him...for a pick...thats handled

RB-Fuller.jpg

so how do you determine this?

if you trade or cut a player, you will save the remaining amount of his salary for that season
    there is no bonus hit that year...the bonus is already paid and does not go up

Season 2...you save the players salary
    but...you pay all the remaining Bonus...combined

so in example 3 you would save 9.34 million in salary and pay an additional 10.96 million in bonus
    remember the 2nd yr bonus is already figured into the available cap for that season, so its the 3rd and 4th yrs that are added to the lost cap
    the difference is 1.62 million....not a great Number...but also not as bad as 15 million and thats what u see when you first look at it

Its easy to check this
    Open your game and just cut the player
    compare what the available cap room was before you cut him to what it is after you cut him
    just dont save or export...until you reopen the game

Obviously the 2nd example is just bad bussiness, unless you are getting something that you really want in the trade...or you have a ton of cap room...or both

the first example is easy to accept,...if you are trading him for something that you want or if you just want rid of him LOL
    Last edited by Red Zone; 08-24-2014, 06:32 PM.

Nice comparison... agreed on all 3.

Comment

Working...
    X