2037 AFC South Season Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2037 AFC South Season Preview

Last Season The AFC South was pretty tight for most of the year, until Richmond faded down the stretch, finishing 8-8.
    This left Indianapolis as the Division Winer at 10-6 and Houston, also 10-6 as one of the wild card teams.
    Tennessee finished 1-15 in an obvious rebuilding year and they have had a very busy offseason.

Lets take a look at how this Division shapes up in 2037

INDIANAPOLIS
    Any conversation about the Colts starts with their WRs, Fred Fitzgerald and Trevor Coleman, I mean...you throw these guys a little slant pass and BOOM! they go 70 yards for a Touchdown. QB Kyle Lincoln really missed Fitzgerald last season as he saw his TD passes drop and his INTs go up. Having Freddy Fitz back this season should help to change those stats. Gerald Tillman may be one of the Leagues best backup QBs that nobody has ever heard of.
    RB Luther Richardson isnt what he once was, but with the Colts Oline and passing game he should still be pretty effective.
    The Colts Oline is getting older, and GM Hoosier has begun to add some young replacements.

On Defense, 2 things always stick out when you play the Colts, those 2 safeties Chester Watson and Eugene Cooley, and OLB Phillip Mathis. After GM Red Zone left for Seattle, last yrs GM Tony Dungy moved Mathis to SLB. The sack and Hurry totals dropped drastically.
    Here's Hoping New GM Hoosier is smart enough to put Mathis back at WLB where he belongs.
    The Colts spent some Draft choices on DTs "big ole" Lester Cardwell and "big ole" Alex Quinn
    These guys should add some beef to the Middle of the Colts front 7

Its clearly a period of transition in Indy this season as Hoosier learns the team and sets up his system.

HOUSTON
    Jaime Moura means Bussiness...write it down
    The teams biggest need by far was at RB and he went out and got RB Darren Pigeon from Dallas in Free Agency
    If the Texans can squeeze a year or 2 out of Pigeon they might be able to slip into a Franchise Bowl, if not, it was still a gamble worth taking.
    This is another team with a high powered passing game
    Tim Tebow throws to Mercury Stokes, Howard Hutek and Harry Rock and any one of them can also take that short slant pass and BOOM! take it 70 yards for a Touchdown.
    The Texans Oline is solid, if not spectacular, and they Have Dwayne Allen at TE, but the key will be running the ball enough to keep defenses honest.

The Texans are solid at just about every defensive position, aside from perhaps one OLB spot.
    They have all the pieces in place to make a run and this could be their year, especially if Indy slips a bit.

RICHMOND
    Dont get me wrong, I like the Colts and Texans, but I Love the Jaguars.
    This is a team that really plays a physical game. I dont know if thats going to get them past the Colts and Texans, but its fun to watch.
    King Kosar has built a really nice squad here...he is 3 deep at TE...I love TEs, remember Dave Casper?
    There is a bit of a QB competition going on, with veteran Colt McCoy being challenged by Britt Greene and Gilbert Washington, but whoever wins the job will be handing off to RB Julio Carlson and throwing to those TEs.
    Its Power Football at its finest and for a while last season, Richmond was hanging at the top of the Division.
    A late season fade left them at 8-8 but i dont think that will happen this season.

A strong Defense with a lot of depth at every position will keep the Jaguars in most games
    Its amazing how deep Richmond is at nearly every position on the defense, almost like a college team.
    Its clear that this team was built with a purpose...Power Football, the running game and Defense.
    And did i mention I LOVE those TEs?

You better believe this season Richmond is going to push their way into the Playoffs

TENNEESSEE
    Bazooka Johnny took the plunge, he made the big trade for WR Roosevelt Bailey from Buffalo.
    And then...QB Wes Battle dropped in TC. So its anybodys guess whether or not Battle still has enough left in the tank to get the ball to bailey, but Tennessee is still moving in the right direction. RB Montee Ball was Off Rookie of the year last season.
    The Oline is powerful and deep, and Bailey should juice up the passing game. A lot will depend on QB Battle.

The defense is steadily improving and adding pass rush freak Eddie begley in this years draft should make it even better.
    This is another team that is very deep on defense, its scary considering how thin some other teams are.
    The Titans can probably compete for this Division if things fall their way, but with QB Battle on the decline they are going to have to find somebody else to get the ball to Bailey before they can make a serious run.

This Division may yield 3 playoff teams, but Tennessee isnt ready yet

2037 Predictions

Houston 12-4
    Richmond 11-5
    Indianapolis 10-6
    Tennessee 7-9

"After GM Red Zone left for Seattle, last yrs GM Tony Dungy moved Mathis to SLB. The sack and Hurry totals dropped drastically. Here's Hoping New GM Hoosier is smart enough to put Mathis back at WLB where he belongs."

Hoosier, listen to the man who won it all, OK? Just don't invite him to your house, he won't move out once he's back.

Good read though, sounds authentic Madden. BOOM!
    "The problem with life is that we have to live it from the beginning, but it makes sense only when seen from the end." - M. Kaplan in Chances are.

Comment

Nice write-up. Wes Battle having one more season in his aging arm is what we are banking on for sure.

Comment

Working...
      X