Jags trilled with their 2022 FFL Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jags trilled with their 2022 FFL Draft

1st year head coach Tim Brown on the Jags 2020 FFL Draft.

Well I think it is safe to say that I am very pleased with my 1st draft as head coach. Any time you can get guys who are "Instant starters" it is a good thing. Three of our 1st 5 picks went to rebuild our OL. OG Mike Iupati and OT Bruce Cambpell should be fixtures for years to come. OG Ramon Harewood will push last seasons starter Eric Wood to the limit. Then we used our 4-3 to get a great player in OT Breno Giacomini. Big Make over for our offensive line, but it needed to be done. After dealing WR Michael Crabtree we needed to bring in some guys to upgrade the position. Very happy with the WR's that we are bringing in. We feel like Golden Tate brings a lot to the table. We think he is going to be around for a long time.

On defense we were pretty happy has whole. Bringing in DT Bullock was huge in continuing the 3-4 defense. In the draft our main goal was to bring in some competition to the secondary. We wanted to get a CB and FS that would push last years starters. Not only did we do that, but it looks as if the starters are the one going to be pushing the rookies. FS Nate Allen is a guy we loved. We were trilled he was sitting there for us at 1-26. We feel like he can be a ball hawk as well has covering a Wr in the slot. He will start from day one. CB Kareem Jackson was a 2nd round player with 1st round talent. We like what he brings to the table. He looks to battle Kelvin Banks for the starting RCB spot. Going into the draft we felt that the secondary as considered a minor weakness. With the additions of Allen, Jackson, and Banks it looks to be the defenses strength.

With the LB positions all secure, it was a nice surprise to look up and we are sitting on the clock with pick 3-20. LB was not a positions of need what so ever. The highest guy on our draft board was Phillip Dillard. We had to take the guy and we are excited what he brings. He may not start right away, perhaps not this year, but he will be a good LB in this league. Pencil him in as the 2023 opening day starter for the jags.

OK I will take some questions.

Pete Prisco, CBS Sportsline.com - In re-vamping the offensive line, was there something you saw you wanted to change or perhaps to go more with what you want to do on offense?

Tim Brown (TB) - I would say a little of Both. Last year when Stafford was here it seems they used guys to fit their system. This year we are getting big Nasty guys who can do it all.

Frank Frangie, 1010XL - Last year the Jags uses a high 2nd round pick on CB Rich Markowitz, who was the starter at RCB, and played pretty well. What Message are you sending when you use a 2nd round pick on a CB and bring in an establish CB in Kelvin Banks.

Tim Brown - The fact is last season on 5 teams allowed more passing yards then we did. Opposing QB's had a QB rating of 85.7. We would like to bring that number down in the high 70's. We feel like Markowitz is a good young CB. I looked at the game tapes and he did have a nice year. Kareem Jackson was a value pick simple as that. he was the top of our boards when we picked at 2-13. Kelvin Banks is a guy that could play CB or S for us. He was much too versatile of a player to pass up.

Dan Hicken , WTLV 12 - With the offensive lineman brought in this year, it seems that the Jags are going to be a more pound it out type of team instead of the Passing attack we say last year.

Tim Brown - I understand that Phil Moran and Matt Stafford are two different guys. We feel like Moran allows us to do more offensively. I don't look at us as a pound it out type of team at all. I think we are going to be a very balanced team. There are going to be games that we need Phil to throw the ball 40 times. There will be games when we run the ball 40 times.

Vito Stalino, Florida Times Union - Last season the Jags finished 11 and 5 with back to back AFC South division titles. You lose you two best offensive weapons. Do you honestly think this team make it back to the playoffs for the 3rd consecutive year?

Tim Brown - Vito, I can honestly tell you if we don't make the playoffs it will be a disappointing season. Do I think we will score as many points as we did last year? NO. Do I think this team will be able to have success moving the football? yes. The biggest change you will see from last years team to this years team is the defense. I think the sky is the limit with this group. I think if we score 17 points a game we are going to win a lot of game.

Sam Kouvars, Channel 4 - It seems you will have 8 new starters all under the age of 25. With that lack of experience and cohesion do you feel it will be a factor?

Time Brown - When you get to this level everyone is a professional. Does experience matter? Sure. If you are able to put talented players in the right position, I believe everything will work out for itself.

Some Dork in a suit - Ok one more question for coach Brown

Scoop Collins - USFL Illusrated - With 28 other teams outside your division, why trade Stafford and Crabtree to a team in your division?

Tim Brown - When we decided we wanted to go a different direction at the QB postion we were looking for the best deal. We had two very good deals on the table. We felt like Tennessee sending us a 3-4 terror in Ian Bullock and QB Phil Moran was the difference. We veiwed both players as 1st round talent. The total package they offered was the best deal.

it's obvious from your post that you not only know where Duval is, but know a lot of the real guys that cover the team in Jax! I hope I do a fan proud with my tenure!!!

#standunited

Comment

I am a monster Jags Fan. They were born on my 21st Birthday. I had season tickets the 1st 15 years. Actually almost took the team back a few days ago. I just did not want to give my picks for no picks.

Comment

Cool. I'll rep Duval proper. We got off to a shakey start as I ran an offense not fit for this team vs HOU [#scrubs ]. I've since created a 2TE based attack (ala Brady's RL Patriots) and it was nicely executed this week vs CAR.

Not having picks ain't so bad if you build to a scheme...this team is more talented than I thought so I may just go with the pieces I have here for a couple of seasons.
        Last edited by Caldwell; 06-17-2014, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Wish ya the best of luck. I will be pulling for ya.

Comment

Working...
          X