Minnesota Vikings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota Vikings

Career Record: 117-91 (.562) in the Regular Season; 10-8 (.555) in the Playoffs

Number of Division Titles: 6
    Number of Conference Championships: 1
    Number of Franchise Bowl Championships: 1

History of GMs:
    jking47 (2013-current) 22-42 (.343)
    misfire (2012) 13-3 (.812); 1-1 (.500)
    Rick (splodgeness) (2008-2011) 39-25 (.609); 3-4 (.428)

2004: 12-4 (2nd; WildCard) lost in NFC Championship to DET (28 to 31)
    2005: 11-5 (T-1st; WildCard) lost in Divisional Round to WAS (16 to 17)
    2006: 9-7 (T-2nd; WildCard) lost in WildCard Round to NOS (10 to 20)
    2007: 11-5 (NFC North Champs) won Franchise Bowl over PIT (20 to 6)
    2008: 13-3 (NFC North Champs) lost in NFC Championship to WAS (24 to 30)
    2009: 11-5 (NFC North Champs) lost in Divisional Round to DAL (17 to 20)
    2010: 6-10 (NFC North Champs) lost in NFC Championship to SFO (20 to 24)
    2011: 9-7 (NFC North Champs) lost in WildCard Round to ARI (27 to 33)
    2012: 13-3 (NFC North Champs) lost in NFC Championship to CAR (16 to 29)
    2013: 5-11 (4th)
    2014: 6-10 (T-2nd)
    2015: 5-11 (4th)
    2016: 6-10 (3rd)
    AFC NORTH CHAMPS: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2012, 2013, 2016
    AFC CHAMPS: 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2016
    FRANCHISE BOWL CHAMPS in 2011 and 2016

I'm very excited to take over a team that has won their division the last six years, but how in the heck did the Vikings win their division in 2010 with a 6-10 record? Yikes!!

Comment

5-11

Team leaders

Passing Yards - Stephen Atkins - 3707
      Rushing Yards - Horace McGregor - 1131
      Receiving Yards - Warren Nieto - 1148
      Tackles - Marques Anderson - 77

Awards

2nd Team OT - Bryant McKinnie

Comment

6-10

Team leaders

Passing Yards - Trent Edwards - 3491
        Rushing Yards - Horace McGregor - 1117
        Receiving Yards - Roscoe Parrish - 902
        Tackles - Gerald Alexander - 97

Awards

1st Team OT - Bryant McKinnie
        1st Team K - Nate Kaeding

Comment

5-11

Team leaders

Passing Yards - Trent Edwards - 3093
          Rushing Yards - Horace McGregor - 931
          Receiving Yards - Warren Nieto - 925
          Tackles - Boomer Grigsby - 109

Awards
          All League 2nd Team Defensive Tackle - Scottie Benton

Comment

GM Misfire made a lot of moves before I came on board in an effort to get another championship. He almost got there, losing in the NFC Championship in 2012. I came on board after the 2012 season and started the rebuilding process. With very few draft picks to work with, I made moves each year to attempt to acquire more picks and drop some of the aged players on the team.

This past offseason we managed to get 11 draft picks, and from the looks of it we may have as many as 7 starting for us. It's been three seasons, but I think there is finally reason to cheer again in the Twin Cities.

2016 Rookies to watch:
            QB Percy Barnes - 2.16
            Barnes will be given every chance to succeed this season, and will have a nice mix of youth and experience surrounding him.

RB Nicky Winters - 1.5
            Winters is expected to break every rushing record the team has. 1500 yards and 15+ TD's is expected in the near future.

MLB Phil Gaylor - 3.18
            WLB Edgar Barrett - 4.1
            Gaylor and Barrett were brought in to completely revamp the linebacking corps. Gaylor has the responsibility of stuffing the run and should come close to or eclipse 100 tackles his rookie year. Barrett will be adding pressure on the QB from the weak side, and hope to increase our sack count. We have yet to crack the 30 sack plateau as a team and would like to get there this season.

Comment

2016 Preview

Not too much to talk about on the offensive side of the ball. Nick Winters is the lone bright spot on this team. He can only do so much. Things don’t get much better on defense. There is no true superstar on this team. DT Scottie Benton continues to impress and should have another good year

Comment

Re: Minnesota Vikings

2029 Season Preview

Not sure how long thenewchuckd has been running the Vikings. But here is where the Vikings have finished the past 5 season.

2028 8-8 2nd in the NFC North lost in WC game to Seattle 23-20
                2027 8-7-1 2nd in the NFC North No-Playoffs
                2026 6-10 3rd in the NFC North No-Playoffs
                2025 10-6 1st in the NFC North Lost FFL Championship against Steelers 24-10
                2024 13-3 1st in the NFC North Lost NFC Championship game to Eagles 45-14
                Lets dig a little deeper
                2023 13-3 2nd in the NFC North Lost NFC Championship against the Bears 23-17
                2022 10-6 1st in the NFC North Lost WC to Bear 24-13
                2021 12-4 2nd in the NFC North Lost FFL Championship against Broncos 16-14
                2020 12-4 2nd in the NFC North Lost FFL Championship against Broncos 24-21...

For almost 10 seasons the Vikings have been a team to be reckoned with. 3 FFL Bowl appearances and 5 NFC Championship appearances.

In 2020 The Vikings added former Browns and Bills QB Matt Ryan to run the show at QB. And a great job he had done. He took them to the big BIG DANCE back to back seasons but fell short both times against the cyrils run Broncos. The Broncos stole victory right out of Minnesota's hands in both games with a pair of LATE 4th QB TD's passes from QB Brian Brohm to WR Bobby Floyd. in their 1st meeting in 2020. And then lost again by a Lee Peel 36 yard FG with 9 seconds to play the following season.

Ryan wasn't your stud-o-typical QB only ranging in the low to mid 60's worthy of a top ten selection. A very good QB none the less and has a had a great career in Viking land. The QB situation in Minnesota is looking shaky. Ryan is in his 15th season and really left to come in as an emergency QB . QB -Dan LeFevour is an 8 year player another QB that would be a back up for most teams with a 45/45 rating.

Rookie RB-Nathan Hoover a 47/67 I think is going to see alot of carries. He has the endurance to be an every down back and can burden the load all season. He's no track star but he has the ability to be a really useful passing down back with a few seasons of grooming. He'll be a nice option for whoever QB's this team in the future on 3rd downs. His elusiveness and hole recognition along with power running inside to me looks like a just solid all around RB.

Wr- Julio Jones 3rd year player who had a breakout season as the endzone guy . jumping from 4 TD's his rookie season to an eye popping 13 the following year. I don't for see these TD's repeated unless the Vikings go pass crazy. The QB position just isn't that strong this season.

The OL looks solid with C-Pouncy, T-Fisk and G- Moffit 13 of Minnesota 30 sacks were allowed by this core.. The addition of Guards Curtis Price and Jose Boyer you could see 1 stay at guard and the other playing tackle. I would play Boyer at tackle.

The DL doesn't look to scary. He has some situational players but thats about . Not the strength of the D...

The LB core has alot of depth with the addition of 5 new faces the biggest of them being Victor Wallace from St.L

The DB's are this teams strength. Wow what a group in the secondary from,CB- Prince Amukamara, S-Xavier Gardner and Robert Sands. now Sands is out for 8 weeks but his return will make this secondary scary good...

My prediction for this team going into the 2029 season is simply this. They have those franchise football players that matter the most A stud WR in Julio Jones. they have a CB with Prince Amukamara. They still need an elite QB. And without one I don't see them going all that far.. I see them finishing 2nd in the NFC North 8-8 at best and that's' while missing the playoffs this season to boot

Comment

Thanks for the write-up! Hopefully I can show you that this team is underrated across the board. It is true that we are weak at QB and on the d-line. But we have more than enough talent everywhere else to overcome this.

We took over the team at the tail end of 2026. In spite of having very little talent, in my two seasons here I have not yet posted a losing season. Not bad.

Some noteable omissions:

-early 2nd round pick from last season, Scottie Hardy. The guy is a major creeper and in spite of having very low development he was over 1,000 yards last season (more yards and more targets than my stud Jones). Make no mistake, we have the 2 stud WR combo that most look for. This should mitigate the lack of a true starting QB

-you mentioned the o-line as a strength and it will be much improved over last season, possibly one of the best in the league. All of the young guys are creepers. Price in particular, I expect he will show he is a top 5 guard in this league. Boyer, already 50/50 with only yellow development. Fisk is 100% developed. At least our QBs will be well protected and the RBs will be able to run at will.

-because of our huge depth at LB, we move to a 3-4 this season. This will mitigate our lack of depth on the d-line somewhat. It is too bad rookie WLB Samuels went out with an injury, I wanted to see what he could do in the pass rush. I am interested to see what ILB Dan Beckham can do, as he shifts from SLB. He has been a huge creeper but had very low development last season. He went to summer league and now looks more ready to play.

I think, our defense alone will get us 8 wins. If our offense can do anything and in particular, if RB Hoover shows he is the top 5 back I think he is, we will finally give Green Bay a run for their money. Maybe not win the division, but enough to at least make the playoffs. Of course, we would like to get a stud QB... and then we could really make zullo scared. But we just couldn't bring ourselves to ship out that much draft capital.

Comment

Originally posted by Arizing540
                    I see them finishing 2nd in the NFC North 8-8 at best and that's' while missing the playoffs this season to boot
                    Two games left and at the moment it looks like this prediction was a touch off! Hopefully we can at least win one of the two to be 9-7... And hopefully that will be enough to get us into the post season.

While it took him a while to get going, it looks like Hoover is the RB that I expected him to be. If he had started the season 100% developed, we may have been able to give Zullo a run for his money but instead we are looking to slip into the playoffs.

Like I said, you missed Hardy and indeed he is proving to be our best yardage WR again this season. For sure he benefits as it seems most teams want to double or at least put their best CB on Jones. But I don't think there is any doubt he is better than his rating.

I predicted our LB unit would boost the team but it is really our secondary that is saving the day for us. Not to say that the LBs are bad, they have just been banged up all season. Beckham went out with a serious injury, Wallace has been injured on and off and I never got to see Samuels develop much at the WLB spot as he missed playing time, too.

Ah yes, then there are my two rookie guards... Boyer unfortunately went down with a serious injury early so I didn't get to see how far he would develop. But Price has been huge. Time stamp AND development creeper, much like I expected. The guy is a stud, he just needs to develop a bit more and he will be one of the league's best. Oh yeah, and my C Pouncey rounded out to 84/84 after some development creep. Not bad.

The team is still young and we'll see how they finish up... But I really need to get these guys a QB in the off-season. We were still developing and gelling as a team this season but next season, there is no excuse.

Comment

I was happy to well exceed Arizing's expectations for our team, finishing 10-6 and making the playoffs. The one and done was a disappointment but I think the team has come pretty far in a short time. Especially considering that we finished the regular season 8-2, I think there is a lot to like about this team going forward.

Another huge event was Nathan Hoover winning offensive rookie of the year and being the 2nd team RB. Very solid for last season's 1.19 pick and another example of some huge drafting by our scouts. Considering how low his development was at the beginning of the season, his future looks very bright.

On the other hand, we could really use a stud QB who is not going to get sacked 40 times a season and who is not going into the twilight of his career. I would like to try again to get that guy and even if a guy like Hoover has to be shipped out, so be it.

Comment

Working...
                      X