Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• franchise player renegotiation advice

I Want to make sure I understand the following before offering a contract:

When I took this team there were a couple of good players who did not have contracts and were going to be UFA this season.

So, rather than lose him I put the franchise tag on WR Rod Whittaker

franchise price: $22,670,000

So, now I can negotiate a salary with Whitaker. Just taking the numbers which pop up on the contract screen without manipulation gives the following:
    4 year contract worth $87 million

Bonus: $17 million
    year 1: $17 million
    year 2: $21 million
    year 3: $23 million
    year 4: $26 million

It reads "this season cap cost $17 million"

Here is my question:
    I am not asking if I should do this, I just want to make sure I understand correctly.

2061 Cap cost for Whitaker will go from $22,670,000 to $17 million. This would free up $5 million in cap room this season 2061? Is this correct?

Thanks
    sigpic
    No Name Defense Undefeated

Originally posted by Vin13 View Post
    I Want to make sure I understand the following before offering a contract:

When I took this team there were a couple of good players who did not have contracts and were going to be UFA this season.

So, rather than lose him I put the franchise tag on WR Rod Whittaker

franchise price: $22,670,000

So, now I can negotiate a salary with Whitaker. Just taking the numbers which pop up on the contract screen without manipulation gives the following:
    4 year contract worth $87 million

Bonus: $17 million
    year 1: $17 million
    year 2: $21 million
    year 3: $23 million
    year 4: $26 million

It reads "this season cap cost $17 million"

Here is my question:
    I am not asking if I should do this, I just want to make sure I understand correctly.

2061 Cap cost for Whitaker will go from $22,670,000 to $17 million. This would free up $5 million in cap room this season 2061? Is this correct?

Thanks
    If you renegotiate this season, it will drop your cap charge for this year based on the new contract. However, the math looks off. Based on your figures, season 1 should be his salary for the season $17m plus 1/4 of the signing bonus which, if the math in my head is correct, should be 21.25m.
    Paint by number morning sky looks so phony

Comment

Originally posted by maestro1899 View Post
      If you renegotiate this season, it will drop your cap charge for this year based on the new contract. However, the math looks off. Based on your figures, season 1 should be his salary for the season $17m plus 1/4 of the signing bonus which, if the math in my head is correct, should be 21.25m.
      Hello Maestro,

Thank you for the answer.

Sorry, I believe my post was not clear. Those amount I listed were the numbers listed under "Cap Cost" not the salary for that year.

In year 1 his salary is $12,740,000 and the Cap Cost is $17,080,000. I just want to confirm under this scenario his Cap Cost for 2061 would drop from $22,670,000 to $17,080,000 which is approximately 5.5 million?
      sigpic

Comment

That's correct
        FFL - Denver Broncos (2049-2050), Cleveland Browns (2053-2060), Green Bay Packers (2061-)
        AFC West Champions - 2049 - 2050
        AFC North Champions - 2057 - 2059
        NFC North Champions - 2063 - 2064, 2066, 2069 - 2070
        AFC Conference Champions - 2054
        FFL Bowl Winners - 2054

Comment

And in terms of the timing, below are my normal decision making processes.

1. Renegotiate now if cap money is immediately required. But I try to avoid this because...

2. The tagged player will usually have significantly lower salary demands after TC. So, this stage is the optimum time to extend a vet.

3. Renegotiate after PS 2 when the major ratings changes occur. This is the more conservative time to extend as you will be in a better position when a player drops. However, if a player's ratings hold, his demands can increase, but normally only slightly. This is a good option for older vets.
          Franchise Bowl Champions 2030, 2038, 2041, 2043, 2045-2048, 2050, 2053, 2057-2059, 2061, 2063
          AC Champions 2031, 2032, 2040, 2044, 2049, 2051-2052, 2062
          AC East Champions 2030-2032, 2036, 2038, 2040-2044, 2046-2063
          Regular Season Record: 436-105-3
          Post Season Record: 68-18

Comment

Originally posted by Dawgfan19 View Post
            And in terms of the timing, below are my normal decision making processes.

1. Renegotiate now if cap money is immediately required. But I try to avoid this because...

2. The tagged player will usually have significantly lower salary demands after TC. So, this stage is the optimum time to extend a vet.

3. Renegotiate after PS 2 when the major ratings changes occur. This is the more conservative time to extend as you will be in a better position when a player drops. However, if a player's ratings hold, his demands can increase, but normally only slightly. This is a good option for older vets.
            Thanks for the advice, I already submitted my file and was renegotiating with my franchise player and a couple of restricted players.

I am still not down with all the slang what is TC? (training camp I presume) and PS2?

Thanks
            sigpic

Comment

Yes. TC is training camp. PS2 is preseason week 2. After it is when the big fluctuations happen.

Comment

TC - Training Camp is a tease. I have had players go up in TC only to drop the very next PS2 - Preseason week 2.

Comment

Working...
                X