denver needs denfensive gameplan tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• denver needs denfensive gameplan tips

denver is 2-8... alas the worst record i ever had in all these seasons. When I looked at my summary, my offense actually performs OK but my D sucks, ranking near the bottom in most categories. I have no idea how to actually do D gameplans. by default, it seems that each personnel/down is assigned only one play. eg. versus 023 - normal, AI would assign cover-2, blitz 2, versus 104 - normal it is press-1 blitz 1. all the coverages all seems random, using a mixture of man, press, cover, etc. if i press generate d plan, a lnew set of coverages would populate my game plan. and they all seem random. somethings 10 out of 12 plays and cover, then the next gen would be predominately press, seems very arbitrary to me and not in any way tied to what i think the strength area for my D.

1. does the AI just randomly select plays, regardless of what my team is strong at?
    2. does it make sense to change ALL plays to one type of coverage (say man) if my primary guys are all strong in man coverage?
    3. do i need variety in Defensive plays (since unlike O-plan, there are only 12 plays used, so maybe variety is not that important?)
    4. does having more than one play for each personnel/down introduce variety if it helps?
    5. does specifying cover only for long plays (or press only for short plays) more productive than just mixing all those randomly?

I am not here to steal anyone's secret, just a few pointers to get me make some sense of this would help. thx.
    "The problem with life is that we have to live it from the beginning, but it makes sense only when seen from the end." - M. Kaplan in Chances are.

Cyril,

Here are some of my ideas/responds:

1. does the AI just randomly select plays, regardless of what my team is strong at?
    Franky, I am not sure how the AI selects plays. So, I try to put in my own plays on defense. Offense is a different story since there are so many plays needed. I use the AI as a template on offense and customize from there.

2. does it make sense to change ALL plays to one type of coverage (say man) if my primary guys are all strong in man coverage?
    I'd suggest putting in more plays which suit your strengths. But be careful about playing a lot of M2M outside the red zone. Read the Defensive Philosophy help file.

3. do i need variety in Defensive plays (since unlike O-plan, there are only 12 plays used, so maybe variety is not that important?)
    I've not read/heard you get familars on defense in FOF 8. Presumably that would occur in prior versions. I'm not too concerned about variety on defense.

4. does having more than one play for each personnel/down introduce variety if it helps?
    I do this for the more common formations (113 normal, 212 normal, etc.). But usually that's to blitz more, not for variety.

5. does specifying cover only for long plays (or press only for short plays) more productive than just mixing all those randomly?
    Not sure.

Other comments:

Keep in mind the WLB does not automatically blitz in a 34. You need to blitz 1 player to have a 4 man pass rush. But it appears you were aware after a quick look of your film room stats.

I'm not convinced the problem with the Denver defense is totally GP related. Your personnel is not all that great. Further, your d-line is somewhat light for a 34 front (starters DE Brad Pritchett and NT Earnest Shepard are light).

Other factors may be your cohesion is not good especially in the secondary. You could also use a few affinities.

Set up a test league and experiment with different plays. I did this last month since one of my teams switched to a 43 front. I'm more familiar playing defense with a 34 front. Actually, in my tests, I didn't get much better results than REX. Defensive game planning is rather limited.
    Last edited by Dawgfan19; 09-15-2018, 04:24 PM.
    Franchise Bowl Champions 2030, 2038, 2041, 2043, 2045-2048, 2050, 2053, 2057-2059, 2061, 2063
    AC Champions 2031, 2032, 2040, 2044, 2049, 2051-2052, 2062
    AC East Champions 2030-2032, 2036, 2038, 2040-2044, 2046-2063
    Regular Season Record: 436-105-3
    Post Season Record: 68-18

Comment

thx dawg for sharing your insights. yeah my D simply did not have great talent and weight wise they are off. switching to 3-4 (which I am not that familiar with in the first place) is an additional challenge.
      "The problem with life is that we have to live it from the beginning, but it makes sense only when seen from the end." - M. Kaplan in Chances are.

Comment

Cyril
        something that helped me was reading the help file about defense...something you have probably already done, but read it closer for a 2nd time. Pay attention to the chart that shows you what each type of coverage is good against.
        some are good vs inside runs, some are good against passes to the outside etc
        So when facing 113 what types of plays does your opponent run?
        If it’s all short passing then maybe use press 1
        This has helped me a lot
        Last edited by Red Zone; 09-17-2018, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X