draft format?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• draft format?

newbie question... more like retiree question.

are we still using the time slot format for draft? ie. 2 days for 1st round (1 hr each pick), 1 day for 2-5 (30min) and 1 day for 6-7

I recall there were discussions on moving to a timed draft before I left. I read in the latest constitution the following:

8.1 - Draft Times
    Draft clock runs from 9am to 9pm ET.
    Round 1: 3 hours
    Round 2: 2 hours
    Round 3: 90 minutes
    Round 4: 1 hour
    Round 5: 1 hour
    Round 6: 30 minutes
    Round 7: 30 minutes

could someone brief this old dog how the draft works now?
    "The problem with life is that we have to live it from the beginning, but it makes sense only when seen from the end." - M. Kaplan in Chances are.

No one uses time slot drafts anymore cyril
    It requires too much work and constant monitoring of the draft utility because too many people just don't show up
    too many people are busy with real life and it just isn't possible anymore

the result is a clock that runs unimpeded during those hours listed on your post above ,,, 9 am eastern to 9 pm eastern
    so if the first 10 people draft as soon as the utility is started...pick 11 in round 1 could be due as quickly as 12 noon eastern the 1st day
    if everyone uses all 3 hours of their "clock"... pick 11 in round 1 would be due sometime the following day since the clock turns off at 9 pm eastern
    If your time runs out, you get auto picked and your "time" gets cut in half for the rest of your picks
    even when you set auto pick, don't set it to the max or you get penalized the same as if you didn't use it
    for example....if its a 3 hour time limit for round 1...use 120 minutes not 180
    a long and detailed list is highly recommended...auto picks from an empty que are as bad as scout picks...and you won't like the players you get

Glad to see you back

Comment

good to see you again red zone. thanks for the explanation. so shall I assume that whenever something ahead of me picked, be it saturday or tuesday, then I have 3 hours (or the time pertaining to that round) to pick?

Theoretically, if everybody gets 3 hours on 1st round, the 1st round could last 8 days.... I don't that won't happen but that's plausible right?
      "The problem with life is that we have to live it from the beginning, but it makes sense only when seen from the end." - M. Kaplan in Chances are.

Comment

as soon as the team in front of you picks your clock starts
        see above

"the result is a clock that runs unimpeded during those hours listed on your post above ,,, 9 am eastern to 9 pm eastern
        so if the first 10 people draft as soon as the utility is started...pick 11 in round 1 could be due as quickly as 12 noon eastern the 1st day
        or
        if everyone uses all 3 hours of their "clock"... pick 11 in round 1 would be due sometime the following day since the clock turns off at 9 pm eastern"

timed drafts dont usually finish much faster or slower than time slot drafts imo
        there is just less work and no need for draft admins
        too many absentee GMs ... the skipped picks were getting out of control

Comment

Originally posted by cyril View Post
          good to see you again red zone. thanks for the explanation. so shall I assume that whenever something ahead of me picked, be it saturday or tuesday, then I have 3 hours (or the time pertaining to that round) to pick?

Theoretically, if everybody gets 3 hours on 1st round, the 1st round could last 8 days.... I don't that won't happen but that's plausible right?
          Most GM's make a list. When their pick comes up they have 2-3 players they like. They figure out the player they want and take them. Please dont use all 3 hours, lol

Comment

this is the first draft I participated in that did not use the original time slot format. Some of you may remember that I was a strong advocate for the time slot, the benefit being knowing exactly when one's turn is. I was worried that the new running format would be too chaotic and unpredictable, that my pick could be skipped/scouted picked/picked from my queue that I have not had time to evaluate.... in practice, it did not run as unpredictable as I thought. There was usually ample time for me to prepare a queue of 5-7 players at the beginning of a round and usually I still ended up the top guys I wanted. The only exception being the 7th, when all the guys on my list was exhausted and ended up auto-picked a RB whom I don't really need. There is indeed a rhythm to it and I started to see the benefits. I had to check my draft status often in case my turn arrived, but I was doing that anyway in the old format.

The only thing I wish I could do is to import the selected list back into Draft Analyzer, so I could filter them out.

Comment

The only thing I wish I could do is to import the selected list back into Draft Analyzer, so I could filter them out.
              Cyril,

Glad to hear the timed draft worked for you.

If I understand your question, try this during the next draft:

1. In the draft utility, click the Analyzer link which will put the drafted players in a pop up window. Copy that (Ctrl-C) to your Windows clip board.

2. Paste into the blank section of the DA. lower right part of the DA (Ctrl-V).

3. Click the Mark Drafted button - that will highlight the drafted players in red.
              Franchise Bowl Champions 2030, 2038, 2041, 2043, 2045-2048, 2050, 2053, 2057-2059, 2061, 2063
              AC Champions 2031, 2032, 2040, 2044, 2049, 2051-2052, 2062
              AC East Champions 2030-2032, 2036, 2038, 2040-2044, 2046-2063
              Regular Season Record: 436-105-3
              Post Season Record: 68-18

Comment

I will try that something, thanks dawgfan.

Comment

dawgfan, i tried what you suggested and you saved me hours! Thx a lot, gosh i have probably spent more time inputing drafted picks over the past 30+ seasons than John Manziel spent in the NFL....

Comment

dawgfan, i tried what you suggested and you saved me hours! Thx a lot, gosh i have probably spent more time inputing drafted picks over the past 30+ seasons than John Manziel spent in the NFL....
                    than John Manziel spent in the NFL - Given I have been a long suffering Browns fan, I can verify this is a fairly low bar to achieve.

Glad that that helped!!!
                    Franchise Bowl Champions 2030, 2038, 2041, 2043, 2045-2048, 2050, 2053, 2057-2059, 2061, 2063
                    AC Champions 2031, 2032, 2040, 2044, 2049, 2051-2052, 2062
                    AC East Champions 2030-2032, 2036, 2038, 2040-2044, 2046-2063
                    Regular Season Record: 436-105-3
                    Post Season Record: 68-18

Comment

Working...
                    X