Best way to develop a QB???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to develop a QB???

Just wondering what the game 'experts' feel...what is the best way to have a young QB develop into his potential ratings (which does help more..or at all):

- Offensive Coordinator with high bars in Player Development and Young Talent?
    - Veteran QB on team with 'Mentor' rating?
    - Training camp settings?
    - Pre-Season playing time?
    - Set QB to be at least 2nd backup (if not starting) in roster depth regular season (instead of 3rd QB/Inactive)?

I truly don't know.

Thanks!
    ljw
    SDG

Yes, Please This is a interesting question

Comment

Here's my take on the subject.

1. Offensive Coordinator with high bars in Player Development and Young Talent?
      FOF is a game of trade offs. Frankly, I'm more interested in coaches with solid scouting and play calling bars. It's difficult to get a coach with all high bars. Young talent can't hurt, but I'm not willing to make sacrifices in other areas.

2. Veteran QB on team with 'Mentor' rating?
      Always a good idea when developing a young QB and normally easy to acquire a cheap vet during FA.

3. Training camp settings?
      Not sure what you could do here other than Film Study to learn formations. But I dislike stealing time from other critical areas.

4. Pre-Season playing time?
      Play the young QB as much as possible.

5. Set QB to be at least 2nd backup (if not starting) in roster depth regular season (instead of 3rd QB/Inactive)?
      If the development QB is my franchise QB with a lot of potential, I'll start him full time and dumb down the offensive game plan. if you have a strong RB and o-line, a short passing/WCO type offense can be effective. Check out Marcus Mariota's rookie season.
      Last edited by Dawgfan19; 09-17-2016, 04:53 PM.
      Franchise Bowl Champions 2030, 2038, 2041, 2043, 2045-2048, 2050, 2053, 2057-2059, 2061, 2063
      AC Champions 2031, 2032, 2040, 2044, 2049, 2051-2052, 2062
      AC East Champions 2030-2032, 2036, 2038, 2040-2044, 2046-2063
      Regular Season Record: 436-105-3
      Post Season Record: 68-18

Comment

My promising QB Leibert now has 8 competitive starts and several pre-season starts. He has increased from 16 to 21, which strikes me as being rather slow progress. If he continues to improve at this rate it will take him about 55 games to reach his maximum potential, which is rather a long project!

Is his development slow?

If so, I was wondering if this was due to his very low volatility (16)?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Danlad

Comment

Originally posted by Danlad View Post
          My promising QB Leibert now has 8 competitive starts and several pre-season starts. He has increased from 16 to 21, which strikes me as being rather slow progress. If he continues to improve at this rate it will take him about 55 games to reach his maximum potential, which is rather a long project!

Is his development slow?

Danlad
          I may be wrong, but I don't think the bulk of development to ratings happens in-season. I think they bump at times like the new season file and PS2. But I never really paid attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Danlad View Post

Is his development slow?

Danlad
            Volatility has absolutely nothing to do with the speed of development. Your QB was 1% developed when drafted. If he started from day one, he probably wouldn't have reached 100% development until the beginning of 4th year. 8 starts is not a lot, but given he hasn't played pretty much at all his first couple seasons, I'd say he won't reach his full potential until around the 35-40 game mark. Also, keep in mind, there will be some games in which he gets a 2 or 3 point bump. That usually happens a couple times a season.
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the information and advice.

On a side note, I didn't know that he was 1% developed when he was drafted, so he had clearly moved quite a bit already without any real playing time. The Broncos are going to be a bit of a project for a season or two, so I suspect that I might have the time to see how he develops over the medium term. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

Thanks again,
              Danlad

Comment

Danlad,

During my SP testing I wanted to see how long my rookie Guard would take to fully develop. I had him start every game. His starting development after preseason was 11% his rookie year. It took this guard 4 seasons to get to 100% developed. Now that was a guard. I would like to do test on QB.

Comment

Working...
                X